|Additional Information:||Son of the late Thomas and Ann Brade.|
|Cemetery:||ARRAS ROAD CEMETERY, ROCLINCOURT, Pas de Calais, France|
|III. M. 12.
|Location:||Roclincourt is a village a
little east of the road from Arras to Lens and Lille.
Arras Road Cemetery is on the west side of the main N17
road from Arras to Lens, about 6 kilometres north of
Arras, and north of the village of Roclincourt.
|Historical Information:||Roclincourt was just within the British lines before the Battles of Arras, 1917; the 51st (Highland) and 34th Divisions advanced from the village on the 9th April, 1917, and the 1st Canadian Division attacked on their left, across the Lens road. Arras Road Cemetery was begun by the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade soon after the 9th April, 1917, and until the Armistice it contained only the graves (now at the back of the cemetery) of 71 officers and men of the 7th Canadian Infantry Battalion (British Columbia Regiment) who fell in April, May and June, 1917; but in 1926-29, it was enlarged by the concentration of 993 graves from a wide area mainly North and East of Arras. There are now over 1,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. The cemetery covers an area of 4,084 square metres. It is enclosed on three sides by a stone rubble wall, and against the road by a retaining wall. Old dug-outs exist under the North-East corner and on the South-West boundary. The following are brief particulars of the burial grounds from which British graves were moved to Arras Road Cemetery:- BAISIEUX CHURCHYARD (Nord): six, October, 1918. BELLAING CHURCHYARD (Nord): two Canadian, October, 1918. BOURLON COMMUNAL CEMETERY (Pas-de-Calais): one, September, 1916, and one Canadian, September, 1918. COMINES COMMUNAL CEMETERY (Nord): five (including one Canadian), 1914-1917. The permanent GERMAN EXTENSION on the West side contains 2,257 identified and 1,903 unidentified German graves. ECAILLON CHURCHYARD (Nord): one, January, 1919. GIVENCHY-LES-LA BASSEE CHURCHYARD (Pas-de-Calais). Givenchy is associated with (among other episodes) the stand made by the 55th (West Lancashire) Division in April, 1918, and it has been "adopted" by the City of Liverpool. MAIRIEUX CHURCHYARD (Nord): one, November, 1918. MOUCHIN CHURCHYARD (Nord): two, October, 1918. PENIN CHURCHYARD (Pas-de-Calais): one, November, 1916. PERONNE-EN-MELANTOIS CHURCHYARD (Nords): four, October, 1918. RUMEGIES CHURCHYARD (Nord): ten, October and November, 1918. SAINGHIN-EN-MELANTOIS CHURCHYARD (Nord): three, March, 1917 - October, 1918. SIN CHURCHYARD, BAISIEUX (Nord): three, April - November, 1918. TINCQUES CHURCHYARD (Pas-de-Calais): one, May, 1916. VENDIN-LE-VIEIL COMMUNAL CEMETERY (Pas-de-Calais): one, September, 1915. WANNEHAIN CHURCHYARD (Nord): two, October and November, 1918.|